Nydia Temple was chartered April 24, 1919 in Portland, Oregon. 1919 was remarkable, in that so much happened in such a relative short period of time. Times were tough, the country was just recovering from a Great World War, transportation was in its infancy, yet these early ladies were very successful in establishing a strong organization built on charity while maintaining unquestionable ethics and character.
Membership increased rapidly the first year and half ending 1920 with 1036 members, which established Nydia Temple as the largest individual temple in the Daughters of the Nile system; proudly we still hold that position today.
The early records show Nydia Temple’s philanthropy was directed toward the families of members in need. We also had parties to benefit the elderly and during WWII the members formed a Red Cross Surgical Dressing group to prepare bandages. At the same time serving at the George A. White Service Men’s Center; funds were provided for a Blood Mobile Unit and we furnished a room at Barnes Hospital for servicemen.
Today our philanthropic efforts are directed solely to raising funds for the Daughters of the Nile Convalescent Endowment Fund (CEF) and the Convalescent Relief Account (CRA). Early on Nydia Temple dedicated itself to assisting with the work of the Shrine Hospitals. 1925 our records indicate that Nydia Temple was the first temple to contribute “Sewing” items to any Shrine Hospital. Currently the members of Nydia Temple have a strong volunteer presence at the Portland Unit Shrine Hospital.
Throughout the years the members established many first and brought several honors to Nydia Temple; this could only be accomplished through their love and dedication. This temple has a very proud heritage that we honor and cherish. The members continue to uphold their proud charitable work dedicated to assisting the Shriners’ in supporting “Shrine Hospitals for Children”.